The Jamestown Town Council met for the Regular Council meeting on May 2, 2017 at 7:00 PM at the Jamestown Municipal Building, 421 East Main Street, Jamestown.  Council members attending were:   Shane Childress, Chassity Hawkins and John Fultz.  Others attending were:  Katie Conyer, Aaron Clapp, Bobby and Jana Taylor, Isaiah Huckstep, Jim Brown, Nancy Rice, Dave and Brenda Phelps, Tina Pennington, Jennifer McCarter-Fultz, Lance Newton, Prudence Gossa, Chester Crowe, Bob Clutter, Molly Whitehead, Bill and Cookie Leeke, Jon Cowen and Tina Lear.

The meeting was opened at 7:07 PM. 

Member Fultz made a motion to approve the minutes of the April 12, 2017 Regular Meeting.  Member Hawkins seconded and all voted aye.

The Town Council approved the May 2017 docket.

Mr. Bob Clutter was present to explain and answer questions regarding the proposed ERA (Economic Revitalization Area). Resolution 2017-7 regarding the proposed ERA was read.  Member Fultz made a motion to approve and Member Hawkins seconded.  All voted aye.  A Public Hearing will be held on June 6, 2017 regarding the ERA.  The Jamestown Redevelopment Commission will also meet on May 23, 2017 to approve the ERA.  Mr. Clutter, Molly Whitehead and Amy Nooning will be on hand at the meeting to answer questions.

Resolution 2017-8 declaring surplus items was read.  Member Fultz made a motion to approve and Member Hawkins seconded.  All voted aye.

Member Fultz made a motion to move the July 4th regular meeting to July 11, 2017.  Member Hawkins seconded and all voted aye.

There are two vacancies on the Jamestown Plan Commission.  One will be left vacant for the time being as there is no one eligible to fill it.  Council President Childress will be taking letters of interest for the other position.  Letters will be due June 2, 2017 by 5 PM.  The can be turned in at the municipal building.

Mr. Chester Crowe was present to ask about draining ground water into the dry pond at the corner of International Drive and N Lebanon Street.  Member Childress stated that he had spoken to Mr. Lingafelter of the Boone RDC and they decided that the answer was no unless Mr. Crowe paid for a drainage study.  The dry pond was built specifically to collect drainage from the street and we are not comfortable allowing additional drainage without an engineering report.  Mr. Crowe was told to contact HWC Engineering and Ken Hedge with the Boone County Drainage Board.  Mr. Crowe acknowledged and will be in touch.

Dave Phelps reported for the Jamestown Community Partnership.  They met on May 1, 2017.  He reports that they will doing their bicycle raffle at the Homecoming Fish Fry.  There will be a gentleman walking around to balloon animals.  Other activities are a pie contest, mini golf and the silly safari.  They are currently soliciting donations.  He also asked if the town would go ahead with planting flowers in the flower pots.  Katie will call Dale Chadwick tomorrow. 

Jim Brown reported for the Park Board.  They met on April 25, 2017.  They discussed placement of the log cabin in the Nature Park.  He and Dave Phelps will decide on a permanent position and get a form for concrete built.  Plans for new signage at the Nature Park are moving forward and will be paid for with grant funds from the Greater Jamestown Area Fund.  Preparations for the Cider Festival are underway and the Five Year Park Plan is being updated.  Solicitation Letters for the Cider Festival are being sent out as well.  Park Clean up dates will be advertised in the Jamestown Journal.  Volunteers are needed. 

Jim Brown had nothing to report for the Jamestown Redevelopment Commission.  However, there will be a meeting on May 23, 2017 at 6 PM to discuss the ERA.  Katie will be posting notice this week for that meeting.

Amy Nooning had nothing further to report.

No report was given for the building inspections and permits.

Deputy Marshal Clapp reported for the Police Department.  For the month of April there were 203 total police services; 70 Traffic stops with 13 tickets issued and 65 warnings; 4 Assist Fire/EMS; 11 Assist other Law Enforcement; 2 accident report; 4 reports filed; 3 arrests made; 3 active alarm; 1 domestic fight; 3 civil disturbance; 3 suspicious activity calls; 1 civil papers served; 3 animal complaints; 5 local ordinance warnings; and 83 other police services.  Junk vehicle warnings are going out.  Several have already been taken care of.  All five officers participated in EVAC training on Saturday which the county graciously included them in.  Officer Attkisson resigned on April 21, 2017.

Mr. Steve Leeke reported for the Jamestown Fire Department.  For the month of April there were 13 total runs; 9 EMS; 1 Assists; 1 MVA; 1 power lines down and 1 active alarm.  The Bean Supper is May 6, 2017 at the Fire Station from 4-8 PM.  The Annual Golf Outing will be on June 24, 2017 at Tomohawk Hills Golf Course.   The inventory list has been completed and sent to John Fultz.  They are still working on the Firehouse subs grant application. 

Bobby Taylor reported for the utilities.  Hydrant flushing is still planned for next week.  Katie will post notice of this.  The hydrant on the corner of Mill and High Streets is out of commission and a new hydrant has been ordered and will be installed.  Bobby will inform Chief Mitchell upon completion.  Street assessment has been completed to update our road and bridge plans so that we can move forward with applying for another INDOT grant this year.  Bobby and Katie will do this as soon as the grant application process opens up.  They will be attending a meeting at INDOT on May 22, 2017.

Katie Conyer reported that the additional appropriations were approved by the DLGF and have been entered in the system.

There was some discussion about fire hydrants around town and if we need to start replacing those as funds are available.

Chassity Hawkins announced a public meeting on May 8, 2017 at 6 PM.  Brian Hotopp-Stephens with HWC Engineering will be here to present the Stormwater Plan.  All are encouraged to attend.

The next Regular Council Meeting is June 6, 2017

Member Fultz made a motion to adjourn the meeting at 8:55 pm.  Member Hawkins seconded and all voted aye.

 

MEETING MINUTES